In the 1940s, part of the New Deal Art Program implemented creating art in post offices all across the United States of America. Radford became one of those post offices that created and published a work of art. Funded by the U.S. Treasury Department, This art piece was created to honor and educate people on the story of Mary Draper Ingles. Finished in 1942 by Alexander B. Clayton, this oil painting on canvas depicts Mary returning home. Named “The Return of Mary Draper Ingles,” this painting depicts locals finding Mary after travelling home. This painting can still be found in the Radford Virginia Post Office. For more information about this New Deal Program and to see other murals, click here.